Feed on



There sure were a lot of mushrooms at Lily Lake in Rocky Mountain National park last summer. I can’t wait until next summer when they start to come out again. I’ll be ready with my camera and my mushroom book.

This brown mushroom was taken in the sun near the lake. It was about 5-6″ in diameter.

Does anyone know what kind of mushroom it is? The closest I could come was some kind of a Bolete mushroom.  I certainly have a lot to learn about mushrooms!

It looks like someone took a bite out of it, don’t you think? Have you ever seen one like this?


2 Responses to “We Saw Another Interesting Brown Mushroom While Hiking At Lily Lake In RMNP”

  1. Manny says:

    Had the same thought as you did, Mel: that someone had been gnawing on it. My understanding is that Brown Mushrooms are not only edible but filled with vitamins, as well.

  2. pablo says:

    MANY brown mushrooms will kill you dead for eating just a small amount. NEVER EAT MUSHROOMS that you aren’t 100% sure of. The above shroom does not look like a Bolete to me (judging by the cross section of the broken part). Even dogs will nibble a shroom thinking it smells good and die.

Leave a Reply

Comment moderation is in use. Please do not submit your comment twice as it will appear shortly if not spam.

Please Enter The Answer Below Before Submitting Your Comment. All Comments Are Not Posted Until Read And Approved. *

<< Return To Home Page >>

Subscribe To The Seeing Through Outdoor Eyes Blog

Your Email Address: